2nd Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles
The 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, (known colloquially as the 2nd Battalion, CMR or simply 2 CMR) was authorized on November 7, 1914, as the 2nd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF. The battalion recruited troops in Victoria and Vernon, British Columbia and was mobilized in Victoria. An earlier incarnation was raised for the Boer War.
In November 1901, the British government requested from the Canadian government a four-squadron regiment of mounted rifles for the Boer War. Canadian Department of Militia and Defense equipped and trained the unit, while the British paid its costs. The majority of the officers and at least a quarter of the men had previously served in South Africa, including its commander Lieutenant-Colonel T.D.B. Evans. On 31 March the unit fought as part of an outnumbered British force at the Battle of Harts River, or Boschbult. The unit participated in a number of other drives to round up Boers before the war ended on 31 May 1902.
The battalion embarked for Great Britain on June 12, 1915. It disembarked in France on September 22, 1915, as part of the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles Brigade.
On January 1, 1916, it was converted to infantry, amalgamated with 'B Squadron' and the headquarters staff of the 3rd Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles, CEF and re-designated the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion, CEF. It fought as part of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.
Capt. John MacGregor was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions during the Battle of the Canal du Nord from September 29 to October 3, 1918.The battalion was disbanded on November 6, 1920.
Battle Honours and Awards
The 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion is perpetuated by The British Columbia Dragoons.